Summer will be here any week now and I don’t know about you, but one of my favorite warm-weather desserts is ice cream. One of the reasons I decided to try to make my own ice cream is because it’s cheaper than buying 1.5 quarts of my favorite ice cream every other week, I know what’s in it, and I already have most of the ingredients. Plus, making them in half pint mason jars ensures that I will not overindulge. Here’s how you can make your own (nice and creamy) mason jar ice cream.
1 half-pint mason jar (with top)
Heavy whipping cream
- Fill the mason jar halfway with heavy whipping cream
- Add 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Add a half teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Put the top on the mason jar and shake vigorously until you can barely hear the liquid moving around (about 3-5 minutes)
- Wet a paper towel and wrap it around the mason jar, let it sit in the refrigerator overnight
For a standard size mason jar, double the recipe and shake for 5 minutes
I like specialty ice creams so I also added nuts to one of my one of my mason jars as well as chocolate syrup after shaking it in order to make an ice cream sundae. To another jar, I added chocolate syrup before shaking in order to make chocolate ice cream. You can also top it with whip cream and all of your favorite toppings.
I hope you enjoy your ice cream as much as I will be enjoying mine! If you’ve tried this recipe, tell us about it. How did it taste? Did you add anything? Leave a comment.